● 79.3% reported student's grades improved in subjects they were tutored in
●79.3% reported student's improved confidence in academic potential and school success
● 75% reported student's improved mental health and emotional well-being
● 89.7% reported that they would like to participate again
● 100% reported student's grades improved in subjects they were tutored in
● 100% reported student's improved confidence in academic potential and school success
● 100% reported student's improved mental health and emotional well-being
● 100% reported that they would like to participate again
Our virtual model, Tutoring After 6pm, that connects 4th-12th graders with college students for one-on-one tutoring sessions, we have discovered that "near-peer" mentoring - defined "when mentors are old enough to serve as role models, but young enough to be relatable" - not only help youth improve their grades, but also provide meaningful developmental relationships that lead to improved mental health and self-confidence.
The Search Institute has found that this type of developmental relationship, which helps young people access resources and social capital that advance the young people’s academic and professional careers, is not equitably distributed. By providing mentor-tutoring online, Tutoring After 6pm connects these powerful college student resources with students who may face barriers to accessing such connections.
Tutoring sessions are one hour. They are provided after school from 5-8pm to ensure we can reach students who ride the bus, participate in sports, or engage in after school activities. All tutoring is provided via Zoom.
What is Mentor-Tutoring?
From Real Parents, Real Students
From Real People. Word cloud of student Highlights. After each tutoring session, tutors and students complete a survey about the experience. Below is a word cloud of student responses to the question "What were some of the highlights from this experience?"
(Data from March 23, 2022)